Gun Rights in the US
Immediately after the shooting at Virginia Tech University, Americans gathered to mourn the dead. The president and the state governor both hurried there to share the _____51 . But the majority of Americans still cling to their right to _____52 weapons.
Strictly speaking, the US is not the only country _____53 gun violence has destroyed lives, families and communities in everyday circumstance. But the US is one of the _____54 countries that seems unwilling and politically incapable of doing anything serious to stop it.
In countries like Britain and Canada, the government adopted stricter_____ 55 control soon after serious gun violence incidents. US leaders, however, are held _____56 by the gun lobby and the electoral system.
The powerful National Rifle Association, the major supporter of gun _____57 in the US, is too strong for any party to take on. Most Republicans oppose gun controls anyway. _____58 the years, the Democrats have found that they can either campaign for gun control or win power, not _____59 they prefer power.
According to the US Bureau of Justice Statistics, firearm incidents accounted _____60nine percent of the 4.7 million violent crimes in 2005. So, although opinion polls show most Americans want stricter gun laws, many don’t want to give up their arms they _____61 to protect themselves.
Dave Hancock, a Virginia gun lover, is one example. In an interview he said. "If one professor in Virginia incident had been carrying a legal weapon they might have been able to _____62 all this." In his opinion, the massacre is an argument for more people to carry weapons, not fewer.
But at the root of Americans’ clinging to the right to bear arms is not just a fear of crime, but a mistrust of_____ 63 , commented UK’s Guardian newspaper.
One Virginia resident, who had a permit to carry a concealed firearm, told the Guardian that it was_____ 64 American’s responsibility to have a gun.
"Each person," he said, "should not rely solely _____65 the government for protection."
51. A) ceremony B) funeral C) tears D) grief
52. A) make B) own C) destroy D) trade
53. A) while B) which C) where D) that
54. A) few B) some C) much D) little
55. A) rifle B) knife C) bullet D) gun
56. A) prisoner B) hostage C) person D) home
57. A) fire B) attacks C) rights D) violence
58. A) Over B) Since C) Till D) Until
59. A) both B) either C) each D) one
60. A) of B) off C) for D) out
61. A) hide B) buy C) sell D) keep
62. A) control B) stop C) handle D) treat
63. A) government B) guards C) students D) professors
64. A) many B) few C) every D) all
65. A) on B) in C) at D) from
答案：DBCAD BCAAC DBACA