1. In order to ________to life in wild, he has to learn how to hunt .
A. effect B. adopt C. adapt D. enter
2. During the rush hour , people ________the subway.
A. crowd B. prevent C. waste D. leak
3. When the whole area was _________by flood , the government sent food there by helicopters.
A. cut away B. cut up C. cut down D. cut off
4. He found his usual corner seat _________at the pub ,so he had to look for another one /
A. empty B. occupied C. free D. held
5. If you have high blood pressure, you should __________eating too much salt .
A. escape B. suggest C. avoid D. relieve
6. We’ll ________that difficulty before we carry out our new plan .
A. get off B. get out C. get over D. get along
7. The train is _________to arrive at the station at10:30 if everything is all right.
A. due B. managed C. conducted D. suggested
8. We must __________our efforts on developing their reading skills .
A. focus B. display C. insist D. cast
9. It is difficult to ___________a conversation with all this noise around us .
.A. carry on B. account for C. bring up D. get through
10. 16. As all the members of the committee except the chairman were in favor of the suggestion ,he was in a __________of one.
A. minority B. majority C. major D. minor
11. He caught a _________from being out in the rain .
A. sight B. disease C. disaster D. cold
12. He received a __________from Mrs. .Jones for $ 20.
A. note B. cash C. notice D. check
13. I slept through her _________speech. .
A. exciting B. explanation C. boring D. disgusting
14. The factory is __________near the river.
A. found B. located C. cited D. lain
15. I have always thought very ___________of him.
A. highly B. better C. plentifully D. enormously
16. The tiger is pacing back and __________in the cage.
A. forth B. forward C. front D. ahead
17. John’s news report covering the conference was so __________that nothing had been omitted.
A. clear B. understandable C. comprehensive D. protective
18. Every part of a new car should be carefully checked before __________.
A.. assembly B. application .. C. combination D. input
19. The children will not be allowed to go with us if they don’t __________themselves better.
A. direct B. declare C. behave D. conduct
20. He was given ___________pay for working overtime.
A. over B. double C. less D. equal
21. They __________us to a swimming contest .
A. invaded B .appealed C. challenged D. charged .
22. When she was dead , many of her friends came to attend her_________ .
A. meeting B. funeral C. ceremony D. bury
23. The officer ___________the suspect to wait at the scene of the crime .
A. allowed B. forced C. persuaded D. enabled
24. He had waited so long that he became______________.
A. impatient B. patient C. quiet D. reserved
25. The __________of the moon for the earth causes the tides .
A. orbit B. motion C. magnet D .attraction
26. This ____________show that Hilary Wilson has completed the school-work of the eighth grade
A. qualification B. certificate C. reputation D. identification
27. She wants to know whether the measures to be taken have been ___________ .
A. agreed for B. agreed with C. agreed upon D. agreed over
28. His _________record was quite ordinary but his employment record was very impressive .
A. learning B. scientific C. schooling D. academic
29. We were __________whether our car could climb the hill .
A . doubtful B. sure C. certain D. anxious
30. Teaching in school can __________be separated from practice. .
A. on the way B. by way of C .in no way D. in the way
31. __________my car was being made ready for a long journey .
A. In the moment B. At the moment C. By the moment D .For the moment
32. He came all the way to China for promoting friendship __________for making money.
A. after all B. better than C. rather than D. above all
33. ___________what you have told me ,I will say that I believe you are innocent .
A. In the light of B. In the course of C. In line with D. With the exception of
34. To carry out the plan successfully ,we have to get well prepared __________.
A. in detail B. in turn C. in advance D. in force
35. I must ___________my lawyer before I make my final decisions .
A. connect with B. communicate with C. get in touch with D. have a link with.
36. The young man was ___________trying to escape from the country .
A. arrested B. spotted C. sentenced D. information
37. Can you give more ___________on the company’s financial position ?
A. understandings B. purposes C. benefits D. information
38. This machine is very complicated indeed .Once taken _________,it can hardly be put together again. A. apart B. loose C. separately D. current
39. The _________of this book explains how the chapters are organized.
A. guidance B. introduction C. instruction D. remark
40. Come at your __________because I will be there all the time .
A. disposal B. rate C. proposal D. convenience
41. Her hard work will __________her the respect of her fellow workers.
A. achieve B. require C. earn D. indicate
42. While the director is away on vacation , his assistant will be __________ .
A. in charge B. in practice C. instead of D. on occasion of
43. For a long time he has been __________the causes of sleep .
A. checking B. investigating C. proving D. revealing
44. It is impossible to _________the number of people in the world who have acquired an adequate knowledge of English .
A. estimate B. judge C. distinguish D. decide
45. People in some parts of the world often take their water for _____.They use as much water as they wish.
A. granted B. sure C. certain D. pleasure
46. If you have any _________,please see the manager .
A. defect B. complaint C. suggestion D. fault
47. Our public transportation is not __________for the need of the people in our major cities .
A. excessive B. additional C. efficient D. adequate
48. He always studies the _________in the paper as he wants to find a good second-hand car .
A. advertisements B. news C. publication D. review
49. I suffered only slight __________to my leg in the accident .
A. wound B. damage C. ruin D. injury
50. The official refused to ___________publicly on this issue .
A. command B. comment C. comfort D. complain