Part II: Vocabulary and structure (20%) II. Vocabulary and Structure (20%)
Directions: There are 20 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one answer that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
13. For miles around me there was nothing but a desert, without a single plant or tree _____.
A. on earth B. at a distance C. in sight D. in place
14. This case is quite _____ today with the great development of science and technology.
A. common B. general C. simple D. alike
15. _____ the dog, we should have reached our destination in time.
A. Because of B. In spite of C. But for D. In case of
16. Lucy changed her major from physics to computer, _____.
A. with hopes to be able to locate employment more easily
B. hoping she can easily get a job
C. with the hope for the ability to find a better job
D. hoping to find a job more easily
17. That tree looked as if it _____ for a long time.
A. hasn't watered B. didn't watered
C. hadn't been watered D. wasn't watered
18. Though the long-term _____ cannot be predicted, the project has been approved by
A. affect B. effect C. effort D. afford
19. One must live in the United States for five years in order to _____ citizenship.
A. appeal to B. accept C. approve of D. apply for
20. Can you tell me _____ ?
A. who is that gentlemen B. that gentleman is who
C. who that gentleman is D. whom is that gentle man
21. Only in this way _____ progress in your English.
A. you make B. can you make
C. you be able to make D. will you able to make
22. It's a fine day. Let's go fishing, _____ ?
A. won't we B. will we C. don't we D. shall we
23. The building _____ roof we can see is the Western Church.
A. its B. which C. whose D. who's
24. The first software of Windows _____ by Bill Gates became very popular with
computer lovers immediately.
A. made B. had made C. was made D. had been made
25. I could easily have imagined her _____ him as a man of fine quality.
A. thinking B. regarding C. talking D. admitting
26. He has no choice but _____ to see him.
A. to go B. go C. going D. goes
27. _____ left before the meeting, it doesn't seem likely that they will come.
A. In such a short time B. Only such a short time
C. With such a short time D. Without such a short time
28. She listened carefully _____ she might discover exactly what he wanted.
A. so as that B. in case C. providing D. in order that
29. I remember her and her brother _____ to our office.
A. coming B. to come C. come D. to have come
30. I don't think anyone can accuse her _____ not being frank.
A. with B. in C. of D. at
31._____ , the people in the flooded areas could not have rebuilt their homes.
A. If the Party didn't offer its timely help
B. Hadn't the Party offered its timely help
C. Should the Party offered its timely help
D. If the Party offered its timely help
32. The moon shines brightly, as if it _____ light by itself.
A. gave off B. gave away C. gave up D. gave in